I’m so trendy, talking about Kale right!?
Or maybe Kale isn’t the cool superfood anymore and I’m behind, but regardless, I like it! You can too (just do it, it’s good for you, I’ll show you how).
My hubby (who has quite the green thumb by the way) has managed to grow quite a bit on our urban Toronto balcony: spinach, beans, rosemary, basil, parsley…and of course kale. If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter you’ve probably seen my veggie-photoshoots throughout the summer. Well done healthy-hubby!
As summer comes to a close, and our little balcony-farm closes for the season, it’s time to harvest the kale! We’ve got a lot of it, and this is one of my favourite ways to eat it. Chips that don’t go to your hips! It even rhymes. Also, shortest. recipe. ever.
– a bunch of kale
– olive oil
– red pepper flakes
– parmesan cheese
– garlic salt
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350.
2. Wash, dry and rip up your kale so that it is in chip-sized/bite-sized pieces.
3. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil (this way there’s no clean up, remember to recycle).
4. Throw your kale onto your prepared baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Toss your pile of kale, until each leaf looks shiny and has some olive oil on it. You don’t need to put too much or will turn out mushy. If you have one of those oil-spritzers, even better.
5. Spread your kale chips as flatly and evenly as you can on your baking sheet.
6. Once it’s all spread out, sprinkle your red pepper flakes, garlic salt and parmesan on top of your kale. How much is up to you, obviously the more you sprinkle the more flavourful your chips will be!
7. Slide your tray into the oven for 7-10 minutes. The first time you do this you may want to supervise your oven a bit, as the kale can burn easily.
8. Once your kale looks crispy at the edges, you’re ready to enjoy! If you kale is droopy and floppy, it needs another minute or two in the oven.
Voila! No need to pay $8 for kale chips at the grocery store. If you’re looking for more ways to get your kale on, check out my Quinoa Kale Salad. Cheers to your health my friends!